Richmond Family Law Attorney
Experienced Guidance & Support in Virginia Divorce & Family Law Issues
Cases involving divorce, child custody, and other family-law related matters often create significant stress and anxiety. Whether you are fighting for your financial security or something as precious as your child, we can help you through this difficult time. Your case may not need to be litigated but, if it does, our extensive experience in the courtroom will help in protecting the ones you love or in obtaining the assets to which you may be entitled.
At our firm, Taylor B. Stone will be your lawyer through every phase of your divorce or family law case. He will answer your phone calls and emails and provide direct access at all times. You will not walk into the courthouse to find yourself being represented by an associate or another lawyer in the firm. It does not take a dozen family law attorneys to properly represent you. It takes one lawyer who knows every aspect of your case and who cares about you and the results you seek. At Janus & Stone, P.C., we provide representation that is thorough, caring, and aggressive in negotiations or in court where necessary. The protection of your legal rights and best interests is our highest priority.
Turn to our reputable and competent Richmond family law lawyer for your
divorce and other family-related legal needs.
Contact us online or at
for a free, initial consultation.
Family Law Services We Provide
Our firm represents clients throughout the greater Richmond area in the following family law matters:
- Divorce. This includes uncontested as well as contested divorces, including those that involve high net-worth or complex financial holdings.
- Child custody. This issue can be one of the most emotionally-challenging and difficult issues for parents. Courts make decisions on what is in the child’s best interests. If no divorce is pending, the parent must file a petition in the juvenile and domestic relations court. The factors that courts consider are set forth in Virginia Code §20.124.3.
- Child support. This support is generally provided by the noncustodial parent based on a formula under state guidelines. Unless the child has special circumstances, it is paid until the child reaches the age of 18 or, for any child over the age of 18 who is still in high school, not self-supporting, and living in the home, it is extended until the child reaches the age of 19 or graduates from high school, whichever occurs first.
- Division of marital assets and debts through “equitable distribution.” Equitable distribution of marital property does not necessarily mean an even split. Courts will consider a multitude of factors listed under Virginia law that includes each party’s contributions to the marriage, contributions to the acquisition and care of the marital property, and how the marital property was acquired.
- Spousal support/alimony. This issue is decided on a case-by-case basis depending on the financial condition and need of spouse seeking support as well as the ability to pay of the spouse being requested to provide such support. Courts will look at many factors in making a determination.
- Separation agreements. These written contracts spell out the property and asset rights and obligations of parties who are separating or divorcing.
- Protective orders. These restraining orders are issued by courts in domestic abuse cases to protect victims and their children on an emergency and long-term basis. Our attorney represents both those seeking and those contesting such orders.
- Post-divorce issues. These can include seeking modifications and enforcement of court orders pertaining to child custody and visitation, child support, spousal support, and protective orders.
Divorce in Virginia
Virginia’s no-fault divorce law requires that spouses live separate and apart for a period of one year before they can finalize their divorce. This period can be shortened to six months for couples without children who have a valid separation agreement.
Fault-based divorces can be filed on grounds of adultery, felony convictions, willful desertion or cruelty. In each of these, concrete evidence must be provided to the court. These cases are more complicated than no-fault divorces and require litigation. However, in some cases, they may be more advantageous for aggrieved parties in terms of marital asset division or spousal support.
Retain a Trusted Family Law Trial Lawyer in Richmond
Attorney Taylor B. Stone has earned a reputation for being an exceptionally strong litigator as well as negotiator for his clients facing legal issues. With 20 years of handling family law cases of every variety and complexity, our firm has the practical experience, knowledge and legal insight needed to help you at this critical time. We understand the stress and uncertainty you may be under in navigating difficult family law matters. We are here to provide care, counsel, and commitment to your needs and goals at every phase of the legal process.
We are available at (804) 265-4441 or contact us via our online request form to arrange to speak with our Richmond family law attorney today.
Experience the DifferenceReasons to Choose Janus & Stone, P.C.
Experience You Can Count On
For the past 20 years, Attorney Taylor B. Stone has successfully handled over a thousand cases due to his unparalleled trial experience and exceptional negotiation skills.
Accessibility to Clients
At Janus & Stone, we pride ourselves on the ability to effectively communicate with our clients. We strive to return calls and emails as quickly as possible to ensure we are providing every client with high-quality service.
Over the years, Attorney Taylor B. Stone has established a great foundation in his community by creating great working relationships with his clients and those in the legal field.
We put our clients first. Our firm specializes in creating effective relationships with our clients in order to work towards the best possible outcome in their case.
We Value Client RelationshipsRead What Past Clients had to Say
“He will give his all to help you be able to win your case. Hands down the best out there.”- Michael
“Mr. Taylor Stone is an incredible lawyer. He took great care of me at every step and always made sure I was completely informed.”- Ryan
“Mr. Stone handled deftly everything that came our way, and I had the utmost confidence in him throughout the process.”- Michael