Richmond Felony Defense Lawyer
Virginia Felony Classifications
In Virginia, felony crimes are divided into six classes from Class 1 which is the most serious down to Class 6 which is the least serious. The penalties you will face in any felony charge will thus depend on the class as well as other relevant facts and circumstances surrounding your case.
Felony classifications and penalties include the following:
- Class I. Examples of this felony class include first-degree murder and sexual abuse of a child under the age of 15. Penalties include life imprisonment and a fine of up to $100,000.
- Class 2. Examples of this class include acts of terrorism, arson, burglary with a deadly weapon, kidnapping, some types of murder, and aggravated malicious wounding (causing permanent physical damage). Penalties include a minimum of 20 years to life in prison and a fine of up to $100,000.
- Class 3. Examples of this class include burglary, attempted poisoning, certain drug offenses, and aggravated assault through shooting or stabbing. Penalties include five to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $100,000.
- Class 4. Examples of class include embezzlement, child abuse, arson of an unoccupied building, and human trafficking. Penalties include two up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $100,000.
- Class 5. Examples include battery, involuntary manslaughter, extortion, and credit card forgery. Penalties include one up to 10 years in prison or a jail sentence of up to year and a fine of up to $2,500.
- Class 6. Examples include repeat domestic violence crimes, credit card fraud involving $500 or more, violation of court orders, and reckless endangerment. Penalties include one up to five years in prison or a jail sentence of up to a year and a fine of up to $2,500.
Criminal charges in Virginia are basically divided into the two categories of misdemeanors and felonies. Of these, felonies are the more serious. These offense can carry a year or more in a state prison, heavy fines, lengthy probation periods, or, in the most serious cases, life imprisonment. A felony arrest or conviction can negatively impact your reputation, family, job or career, and social relationships. A conviction will also give you a permanent criminal record that can be searched for and found on any routine background check; this can lead to future problems when seeking certain life opportunities and benefits.
Janus & Stone, P.C. offers a free case review. Call us at
or contact us online to arrange to speak with our Richmond felonies attorney.
Collateral Damage of a Felony Conviction
As mentioned above, a felony conviction can have additional and long-term effects on your life. For example, certain sex crime convictions will lead to mandatory sex offender registration that can also put restrictions on where you live or work. Felony convictions can also result in difficulties finding employment or housing, restrictions on obtaining professional licenses and educational scholarships, loss of voter rights and gun possession.
When facing the adverse consequences of a felony conviction, you need a proven legal professional in your corner. At our firm, our sole aim is to protect your rights, see that you are treated fairly, provide you with the knowledgeable counsel you need to make informed decisions, and to devise a legal strategy that will maximize your chances of a favorable outcome. If you are facing a felony charge, we urge you to consult with our talented and proven trial lawyer as soon as possible.
At Janus & Stone, P.C., we strongly believe in and practice the protection of your constitutional rights when accused of any crime. You are innocent until proven guilty and have the right to due process and a fair trial. Our firm is founded on providing the care and support you need when facing a legal crisis of this nature. Our criminal defense attorney brings superior investigatory, negotiation, and litigation skills to your case backed by 20 years of practice in the local courts. We understand the high stakes that felony arrests involve for you, your freedom, and future which is why we put in the total effort and commitment needed to help you achieve the best possible outcome.
Contact Attorney Taylor B. Stone online or at (804) 265-4441 today
Experience the DifferenceReasons to Choose Janus & Stone, P.C.
Experience You Can Count On
For the past 20 years, Attorney Taylor B. Stone has successfully handled over a thousand cases due to his unparalleled trial experience and exceptional negotiation skills.
Accessibility to Clients
At Janus & Stone, we pride ourselves on the ability to effectively communicate with our clients. We strive to return calls and emails as quickly as possible to ensure we are providing every client with high-quality service.
Over the years, Attorney Taylor B. Stone has established a great foundation in his community by creating great working relationships with his clients and those in the legal field.
We put our clients first. Our firm specializes in creating effective relationships with our clients in order to work towards the best possible outcome in their case.
We Value Client RelationshipsRead What Past Clients had to Say
“Mr. Stone went to work on my behalf and came out with a positive result that allowed me to continue working in my career.”- Emcnell
“He will give his all to help you be able to win your case. Hands down the best out there.”- Michael
“Mr. Taylor Stone is an incredible lawyer. He took great care of me at every step and always made sure I was completely informed.”- Ryan